Wednesday, March 2, 2011

bed styles

via unruly things
.
.
When I was a kid, I sometimes slept with my head under the covers all night, hidden away in a cave of my making. Sometimes I slept with my feet at the headboard, and some nights I took my blanket and slept underneath. I slept with a cat beside me or on top of me, a teddy bear under my head, a favourite book digging into my side.
.
Last year I was a bit fastidious and made my bed each morning, nice and straight, with my crochet blanket smoothed out on top and pillows all in a row. It made me feel calm and ready.
.
This morning, as I clamboured out of bed, I looked back and reviewed my new (lack of) style. I have a big bed, all to myself, so I have noone else to please, or make room for. I have blankets arranged in a nest-like shape around in the centre, ready to be pulled on or off according to the night; half read books line the outside edges, toppling off every now and then. Hair pins and several pairs of pajamas lay scrunched up underneath pillows of various sizes and shapes, some on the bed, some wedged behind it. Glasses and mugs within reach, the lamp glowing softly, a little space amongst the books where Six sleeps each night. I haven't made my bed for a week, but just pull out a random pajama top, climb into the nest and pick up the nearest book.
.
It made me think of how we sleep, the kind of beds we choose, the space we make and how we spend so much of our time in them. Sleeping on our sides or stretched out, hugging or with plenty of space. Do you make your bed every morning? leave it ruffled and ready? Do you have a particular side?

1 comment:

  1. i have what i like to call a cloud bed!
    haha.
    i have 6 (or so) pillows on it, and a couple of big fluffy white duvet's in the winter. <3 it makes me feel like i'm sleeping on a cloud! ooooh, i love my bed.

    ReplyDelete