Wednesday, June 3, 2009

under the covers

A bit late, again, for Pip's Words and Pictures.(also please excuse the not-so-good photo)
This is my first (and only) quilt. It took me about a year to make it, sporadic sewer that I am. A few months cutting out all the squares, a while laying it out on the floor to get it just right and a few months gingerly stepping over it. A few weeks with pinned strips hanging over the back of a chair and then, one day, there it was. It's still not, ahem, actually quilted, except for a few places. But that's part of the, sigh, rustic. quality.

Despite being unfinished and now a bit faded, I love it to BITS. I remember where I got each fabric from (skirt that I loved but never fit right. Curtains. That fabric was also made into toy for my first neice..) and it I'm quite proud that it was all put together by little ol' me. I love seeing it spread over my bed, and I love sleeping under it every night. I love lolling under it on weekends and running my fingers over the fabrics and stitches.

I'm thinking of starting a new one. I thought it would be nice to have one for each season with different colour schemes, and swap over when the seasons changed (also the winter one would be much thicker than summer). Maybe one day. For now, this is the cover I love to be under.

2 comments:

  1. I really like it - you're inspiring me :)

    Did you just sew the pieces together onto a big piece of fabric and make a doona cover?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its beautiful! :-) you're so tricky.. i love the idea of a seasons one, i'm sure my mum did something similar once, or, i saw one somewhere, I can just imagine it... mmm :-)

    ReplyDelete