Tuesday, July 14, 2009

toes + sun = good

(image credit)

I am officially on holidays.
Yep, holidays. When you can do what you like, when you like.

This is the first time in yonks I've had two whole weeks off, plus it's the middle of winter and everyone else is working. Why didn't I think of this before? Perfect for snuggling, creating, dreaming and solitude. Summer is great too, but this mid-year hiatus is awesome.


I've already made lists, but not only lists of things to do, but lists of things I'd like to do and lists of things of nothing to do too. I'm trying to remember to slow it down, to not accidentally fill it up with overdue dentist appointment, tax returns, house cleaning and uni work. Also creating, I have so many projects in my head and things I want to try/sew/conjure that I could spend the next two weeks in my own head with hands working fervidly. It will be gone in a flash and I don't want to look back and go 'what happened? oh no!'


Some of the things on my list:
- lie in the park in the sun. watch clouds
- visit old friends and new ones too
- have late lunches in local cafes
- draw, sketch, sew, create
- try to spend a whole day without looking at a clock
- go to the library. browse. wander.
- go someplace I don't usually go. Like the aquarium.
- visit an art gallery or museum. Buy postcards
-write some letters to my favourite people
-eat liquorice and oranges in a bubble bath. I'm not sure why. it sounds nice.

I feel like I'm missing something though. What do you like to do in your holidays? If you had today to do whatever you liked, what would you do?

3 comments:

  1. Yay for holidays!!! I have things similar to yours that I like to do on holidays, I also like to:

    - sow seeds, pick fruit and veg, and potter around in the garden
    - doing things I like doing on normal days, but sitting outside, like coffee making and drinking, knitting etc.
    - do things that you can't do when work and time prevent it, like watch the sunrise or sunset from mountain views, bush walks complete with a cooked breakfast and coffee on a bush track etc
    - drink nice rum or wine without a care of what day it is
    - sit and just relax in front of a fire on nice cool breezy afternoons
    - go all out and cook grand dinners and new recipes!

    One thing I'd like to do is play chess, but, alas, I have no chess playing partners in my life! : (

    ReplyDelete
  2. all of your plans sound fab. i would add 1) light the fire,pull down the blinds,snuggle up with the cat in cosy corner and watch movies all day.
    2)rug up and go for a really long walk and end up at a very lovely cafe for coffee and cake
    3)spend a day in bed reading books

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Pepper - winter weeks-or-two off work are the best! Summer is nice too, but winter I think is always a lovely time where you don;t have to go to any Christmas things and you are not trapped by heat. Staying in 'cos its cold feels much better then hiding from the sun.
    I would clean and repaint a little side table and a set of 3 draws
    I would write to all of my 4 'best friends forever
    I would make time to plan a romantic surprise for the lovely boyfriend - maybe even just a surprise meeting post work 'n drink at posh place by harbor..?
    I would sleep in (and diagonal) and then go for lunch at deli beneath our flat

    Instead I will envy you!! Enjoy yourself for all us 8.30 to 5ers! :)

    ReplyDelete