Sunday, July 5, 2009

what do you say most often?

I was thinking about it on my bike during the week, where I often zone out as I pedal up the lane ways and think about random things, like;
I wonder how may strawberries are in a jar of jam
I wonder if i should join the gym?
I wonder if leaves look purple to other people
and then I wondered what words I say the most.
.
On my bike, I find myself saying 'thank you' a lot. To pedestrians who pause for me as I meander past, to drivers who sit facing me and wait in the narrow streets for me to pass, and of course 'good morning' to the corner shop man, the funeral director guys I pass, and the business man who I always intersect with at the same point.
.
When I worked with kids, I'm sure it was one of those phrases that you tend to say a hundred times a day, until you don't really notice that you do anymore as it becomes pure absent minded habit. Like 'where are your manners please' and hopefully not 'put down that stick'.
.
Receptionists have cheery greetings, Doctors always ask 'What can I do for you today?', fast food servers must say 'Do you want fries with that?' musicians might say 'from the top'.
.
So I am wondering, what are the words you say most often in a day?

4 comments:

  1. "No worries" and "Too Easy". I would hate to think how many times I say these words to clients every day, before hanging up the phone and cursing them for making my day *this* much more difficult. It never is worry free or easy, but they're not to know that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you made your bed? Please go and get dressed. Have you done your chores? Don't hit your sister. No. Yes. Are you okay? I know I know, I sound SO MUCH like a mum! It horrifies me....

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm...at work I think I say "Excuse Me" and "Sorry" a lot. Restaurant work=tight spaces.

    Outside of work...I probably say "Oh My Gosh" a lot. I spent most of the day talking to my mom. And apparently I find a lot of things exciting:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I say "To Be Honest" at the start of sentences so much I sound like a liar. But I am the worst liar! My boyfriend points it out all the time by saying "You know I only want you to be honest with me honey..." And we both start laughing cuz I realize I did it again.

    ReplyDelete