Thursday, April 9, 2009

Cold Feet


This Week Pip's Words and Pictures theme is "Cold Feet', which is funny 'cause this is the first week I've been home and gone 'ooh, my feet are a bit chilly'.
Every year this is what autumn means to me, that crossover from thongs and checking out your toes, to that point where you find yourself rummaging through drawers for thick socks, and pulling out your ugg boots. Suddenly a midnight pee means running down the hallway and trying to keep your toes of the cold tiles. Suddenly you only see your toes in the shower, and are suspiciously close to having a boot tan.
.
I love the cooler weather (although I may change my tune mid-winter, just wait). There is a certain crispness in the air, a clarity. Things have a different smell in winter, the air seems clearer, and winter memories to me always seem to have a distinctness to them that hot, lazy blurred summer memories don't.
.
I like being rugged up in bed with a book (my last two nights running), I like leaping out of bed and rushing back to dive under the covers. I like heaters and steaming mugs and watching the cold world from the warm side of the window.
.
If you had to choose, would you rather be slightly too hot or slightly too cold?

1 comment:

  1. Great post. Yes, those night pee trips have to be done reeeeaaallly quickly!

    I go with slightly cold..you can always put more on.I hate the feeling of starting to sweat (glow!) that I get when the temp and humidity start to go past comfortable.

    ReplyDelete